I was stood in Morrisons in Morecambe, just inside the doors where there was a huge display of doughnuts. Ooh, I thought they look nice, what a lovely sweet treat.
So when we got home I rewarded myself, and Alan, with a nice fresh salmon and pasta salad. It was so tasty I didn't even need a sweet treat of any description.
Later on determined not to waste the crusts off my loaf of bread, I made some garlicky croutons to go into a bowl of soup for my tea. I left them slightly too long and had slightly charcoal-y croutons. Still edible but not the luscious little pillows of bready garlic-ness that I was hoping for.


And "custard FLAVOUR doughnuts" sounds dodgy. In the old days, there would be a dollop of genuine custard inside....
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I remember the days of real custard in doughnuts AND in custard slices. The last custard slice Alan had while we were out and about, was so bland he said it had no flavour whatsoever.
DeleteThat's quite a list of ingredients - I was trying to work out which were doughnut and which the filling but it's impossible to tell!
ReplyDeleteYour salad looks delicious.
It does look ridiculously long, the first few things are the constituent parts of the flour, the vitamins that have to be included by law. But, even so it's far too long a list for me to be comfortable with.
DeleteSome of those ingredients are probably a lot more day to day than they sound! But it is a lot of unpronounceable names for sure! Yuk!
ReplyDeleteReading through it carefully a lot of them are, but there are enough very dodgy looking ones that I wouldn't consume. :-)
DeleteYep, I much prefer the look of the lovely salad. It's awful how much unidentifiable stuff we are presented with in packaged food isn't it. I like the idea of custard doughnuts but just know I would regret having eaten one. It would weigh a bit heavy on the stomach afterwards!
ReplyDeleteAngie
The sad thing is they are delicious, and a lot less sickly than their jam counterparts, but I'm not tempted at all these days.
DeleteWell done. A batch of drop scones takes just a few minutes.
ReplyDeleteThinking about it almost anything home-baked can be made within half an hour can't it. :-)
DeleteI too have been deterred from buying a "little treat" by looking at the arm's length list of ingredients - compared with my home baking and 4 or 5 main ingredients. The salmon salad looked good. Sorry about your croutons - I am wont to do similarly if distracted when cooking something.
ReplyDeleteHaving no sense of smell doesn't help me at all when things start to catch. There were just about edible, but only because the soup that I thawed out was VERY garlicky and it hid the taste of the croutons. :-)
DeleteI'm in the habit of a quick look at ingredients now. Some are staggeringly shocking, like those doughnuts. It's about time the government intervened. People should be able to expect that products marketed as food and sold in food stores aren't actually chemistry experiments instead.
ReplyDeleteExactly. I really feel for young families that have little or no knowledge of making their own sweet treats and meals from good ingredients. Feeding children from a young age on this sort of non-food has proven to be so bad for their health.
DeleteI have been making my own biscuits for a while now to try to avoid just this problem. Anzac biscuits, Melting Moments, oat biscuits, choc chip biscuits, Grantham Gingerbreads (very much a treat as they are high in sugar but delicious!) - all lovely, easy to make and better than anything in the shops (in my opinion). Yes, it takes time and costs more, due to the baking, but I am happy to do it. I am becoming much better at checking labels and avoiding too many ingredients in food we buy.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Oh I have not made Melting Moments for a long time, I do make oat biscuits regularly though. Maybe once we have moved I should start making one batch of sweet treats a week and filling a tin. I'm sure Alan would appreciate it. :-)
DeleteYeah, donuts are never health food!
ReplyDeleteOh I wish they were. :-)
DeleteI use the Yuca app to check ingredients and it’s amazing how many supposedly healthy foods score badly.. My gut can’t cope with things like doughnuts any more which is a good thing. Lovely salad and I’m a L person who likes well fired toast/ croutons-oooops! Catriona
ReplyDeleteI never thought to try the Yuca app on these. I wish I had done now, I do have it on my phone.
DeleteI have been craving apple cider doughnuts from Trader joe's and I don't know why I didn't buy them when I saw them. And I love very toasted things!
ReplyDeleteOh I love very pale toasted things, in fact my son used to say I had 'hot bread' when I ate toast when he lived at home. :-)
DeleteShould have called them Chemical Doughnuts.
ReplyDeleteLove the salad.
That would definitely have been a more accurate description. The salad was beautiful, it's worth replicating even though it is one of the more expensive salads that I make as we have a whole salmon fillet each.
Delete