I'm supposed to be working on emptying the freezer but this past week I seem to have been making an effort to fill it. Oh well, if I cut back a bit further on the shopping and instead eat what I already have it will still empty ... eventually!! 😄
I made a reasonable sized batch of dahl, a very tasty batch if I say so myself. This time using my curry powder mixture from the cupboard instead of predominantly cumin like I usually do. We each had some with rice and a salmon fillet for tea, and then I potted up another seven single portions for the freezer and one for my breakfast the next day. I do love dahl and rice for breakfast, I discovered this when I did the refugee
Ration Challenge a few years ago. I re-read some of the ration challenge posts to find this link and discovered that I had made some wraps for myself way back then.
Also into the freezer were four tubs of our homegrown rhubarb.
These will be so good with my morning weetabix in the darker mornings of Autumn and Winter. I reckon I have one more good sized picking and stewing to get through. I always share with Alan, although he eats his rhubarb with ice-cream rather than weetabix.
I am really pleased with this years rhubarb, I have had three pickings up to now, and there's one more to go. Each and every one will be so much more than the 400g that you get for £2.50 in our local shop. You have got to love a crop that you put in once and reap the benefits of for years to come haven't you. 💚
I've been picking off the three blueberry bushes whenever I have been out watering the garden, and I have to admit that most of them are simply popped in my mouth as my garden watering payment. But this past few days I have been making an effort to bring some inside and each day adding them to the little tub that I now have in the freezer.
The tub was quite full until I made the mixed fruit jelly last week and I decided to empty it into the pan. Hopefully I can get another tub of the lovely berries together before the plants stop producing, which no doubt they will very soon.
Back soon.
Sue xx
Rhubarb is a truly underrated crop imho. I like a spoonful of rhubarb compote on to of a bowl of rice pudding
ReplyDelete