Friday, 28 August 2026

The Kitchen Delivery, and What I'll Miss When We Move

 


Late yesterday morning the kitchen was delivered.  

At the moment it's all safely boxed and/or wrapped up, but peeking into the visible bits it's already looking good and just as we wanted it.  So for the rest of today Alan is grouting the floor tiles at the kitchen end of the living room ready for the kitchen to be installed on top of them starting next Tuesday.

Alan worked like a trouper on Monday and Tuesday tiling the whole of the living room as there was a chance we would be needed to help my younger son move into his new home on the Wednesday.  He's a big lad and he did have his partner and her brother to help with the lifting and shifting, but after having a biopsy last week he still had stitches in his stomach so he had to be very careful. I thought it best to leave them to it if they could manage, as it is a big sense of achievement to move into your first purchased home together without the parents.

 Happily he managed everything he wanted to do and we weren't needed, so Alan had a well earned day off and we went out for lunch ... still on standby, just in case.  😊

Somehow it got me thinking about what I will miss when we move, so I went around the annexe snapping at the things I thought I would miss most.

High on the list is my beloved SMEG fridge freezer.


It's been my best ever purchase, and while they are expensive to buy they do keep food amazingly well.  I must have recouped a lot of the money spent on this beautiful appliance in non-wasted food costs over the years I've had it.


I couldn't make my mind up over whether I will miss the little half sized section of my kitchen sink.  

We both made the joint decision to have a one bowl stainless steel sink at the bungalow, as this is what we were used to before we moved here.  Having a plastic bowl in the sink means that you don't really need the centre section much, as you can pour things down the side of the bowl if you need to drain them.  

Having a bowl in the sink is the usual way of doing things in the UK.


I will definitely miss my radiator cover.

It's been good to have a sort of seasonal change of my favourite things on top of it, making me smile daily, and looking lovely when it's all illuminated at Christmas time.


I will also definitely miss having actual radiators.  They are very handy for quick drying of things that you need in the Wintertime when the heating is on.

I will miss having the two sets of French doors.

 I currently have one set in the living room, and the ones in this photo are in the bedroom.  On a hot day it's great to fling them all open and let air circulate.  Ginger has never quite got used to the doors looking identical, but leading him into different rooms when he comes in from the garden. 😺

At least we will have one set in our living room at the bungalow, letting lots of light flood in.


Something I thought that I would have to let go was this useful little drawer unit.  It's currently being well used in the kitchen of the annexe, but in the bungalow it might fit into my bathroom where it would be extremely useful.  I have my fingers firmly crossed.  🤞


What would you miss most if you had to move house and leave  something behind?


Sue xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.