Late yesterday morning the kitchen was delivered.
At the moment it's all safely boxed and/or wrapped up, but peeking into the visible bits it's already looking good and just as we wanted it. So for the rest of today Alan is grouting the floor tiles at the kitchen end of the living room ready for the kitchen to be installed on top of them starting next Tuesday.
Alan worked like a trouper on Monday and Tuesday tiling the whole of the living room as there was a chance we would be needed to help my younger son move into his new home on the Wednesday. He's a big lad and he did have his partner and her brother to help with the lifting and shifting, but after having a biopsy last week he still had stitches in his stomach so he had to be very careful. I thought it best to leave them to it if they could manage, as it is a big sense of achievement to move into your first purchased home together without the parents.
Happily he managed everything he wanted to do and we weren't needed, so Alan had a well earned day off and we went out for lunch ... still on standby, just in case. 😊
Somehow it got me thinking about what I will miss when we move, so I went around the annexe snapping at the things I thought I would miss most.
High on the list is my beloved SMEG fridge freezer.
It's been my best ever purchase, and while they are expensive to buy they do keep food amazingly well. I must have recouped a lot of the money spent on this beautiful appliance in non-wasted food costs over the years I've had it.
I couldn't make my mind up over whether I will miss the little half sized section of my kitchen sink.
We both made the joint decision to have a one bowl stainless steel sink at the bungalow, as this is what we were used to before we moved here. Having a plastic bowl in the sink means that you don't really need the centre section much, as you can pour things down the side of the bowl if you need to drain them.
Having a bowl in the sink is the usual way of doing things in the UK.
I will definitely miss my radiator cover.
It's been good to have a sort of seasonal change of my favourite things on top of it, making me smile daily, and looking lovely when it's all illuminated at Christmas time.
I will also definitely miss having actual radiators. They are very handy for quick drying of things that you need in the Wintertime when the heating is on.
I will miss having the two sets of French doors.
I currently have one set in the living room, and the ones in this photo are in the bedroom. On a hot day it's great to fling them all open and let air circulate. Ginger has never quite got used to the doors looking identical, but leading him into different rooms when he comes in from the garden. 😺
At least we will have one set in our living room at the bungalow, letting lots of light flood in.
Something I thought that I would have to let go was this useful little drawer unit. It's currently being well used in the kitchen of the annexe, but in the bungalow it might fit into my bathroom where it would be extremely useful. I have my fingers firmly crossed. 🤞
What would you miss most if you had to move house and leave something behind?
Sue xx
What would I miss? I'd have to give that some thought...
ReplyDeleteCome back when you've had a chance to think. 😄
DeleteI’ve missed a Smeg fridge freezer too, but from our last house I dearly miss my Aga.
ReplyDeleteIf we moved from here I would miss the light……it’s probably the lightest place we’ve lived in.
I enjoyed seeing your tour of what you would miss.
Alison in Devon x
Oh I really missed my Aga when we moved from Wales. It was a major selling point of the house, and they are just too expensive to run really, so I had to move on. 🫤
DeleteMy original parquet floors!
ReplyDeleteOh, I love parquet floors. ❤️
DeleteI would miss all the wildlife that currently visits my deck/yard (an acre) every day. Because I have a number of different bird feeders and a bird bath (heated for winter) on my deck, dozens of birds and other animals visit every day. In fact, they noisily remind me if I am late putting out their food :). This time of year the hummingbirds are in profusion and with their feeder attached to my kitchen window, I get to closely watch them hover to drink their sugar solution I make daily. Getting ready for their long migration south again (they fly thousands of miles), so they are madly fueling up these days. The wildlife visit so regularly that I can recognize certain birds, squirrels and deer. I would definitely miss them.
ReplyDeleteYour comment on how you will miss the radiators made me think of the place I rented in the Scottish Highlands last fall. Was there for a month and I only had a washing machine (no dryer function), so I was very happy to make great use of all the radiators in various rooms for drying my clothing.
Your place sounds amazing. I have never really had a dryer, except once in a rental property and I only used it once. 🙂
DeleteMy big kitchen table wouldn't fit many places and I would hate to leave it, as Keith made it and the tree planked for it was an American Elm bought down in the Hurricane of 1987.
ReplyDeleteI hated having to sell our farmhouse table when we moved from our first farm. I loved it, but it was only pine, yours sounds amazing, I love elm.
DeleteOh, I love your fridge and sink situation, too! I would definitely miss my little deck just off my covered patio. I have spent a lot of time back there these last 5 years. I wouldn't miss my jacuzzi tub - it could definitely GO.
ReplyDeleteWe are hoping to install a decking area, once we've finished interior renovations. 😀
DeleteI would miss my seaside style garden as any other house will not have as big a garden as this one. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI'm loving all the comments and the wide variety of things that everyone will miss. A seaside garden sounds lovely. 🐚🪷🌴
DeleteI would miss my utility room. I love having my washing machine and airers in there with the dehumidifier. Cheap drying and out of sight. If we end up moving to an apartment it wiil need to have 2 bathrooms so I can turn 1 into a utility room. Apart from that, I would miss our views, our pond, and wildlife.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I'll miss my old Bosch fridge/freezer. It's been fantastic, but at 30 years old I've made the decision that this is it's last kitchen. It's been through 8 homes with me and never let me down.
DeleteUtility rooms are really great aren't they. I've had two in my lifetime out of 18 various homes. Views are very special aren't they, I still miss our Welsh one.
DeleteHow can you bear to let such an old friend go? Thirty years is an amazing age for a fridge/freezer. I bet your next one won't last that long. 🤔
DeleteI probably can't 🙄 Years ago a repair guy, fixing something else, glanced at it and said I should hold on to it as long as possible because it was so good. I haven't even had to change the bulb!
DeleteI hope it stays with you forever then. :-)
DeleteGood question! It would depend on where I'd move to, I suppose. :).
ReplyDeleteThat is definitely a deciding factor. 😄
DeleteWhen we did the great retirement downsize, it was had to part with my lovely Tapley storage furniture I'd had for almost 40 years. But 5 years on, I discover I have not missed it at all. I HAVE missed my food waste bin, but yippee! Our council is introducing food waste collection next month. So all in all I am truly blessed.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers today are for those who have lost everything in Nepal....
I had to Google Tapley furniture, it seems very similar to my Ercol ... something else I would truly miss, but happily it's all coming with us. 😀
DeleteThe situation in Nepal and Tibet is truly heartbreaking. 💔🌹
I would miss all the storage we have in our not overly large bungalow. It is a veritable tardis. It always looks tidy because of so much cupboard space. Just don't open any of the cupboard doors! Joking we are quite tidy really and don't hoard anything, we have nothing in our loft. I would miss radiators though. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteStorage is very under appreciated, sadly it's one thing we will not have much of. Thank goodness for the garage. 😄
DeleteThis got me thinking and there are no things that I'd miss but I couldn't do what you are planning as I really need to have my own space. I'd be spending hours in my bedroom if there was only one living room.
ReplyDeleteWhich is exactly the reason that I am having the larger of the bedrooms. 😄 There is space for an armchair and I will have my tv, so I don't have to watch too many of Alan's programmes. We are also hoping to build a little garden room when we design the garden next year. It will make a nice little reading area in Summer and a space for the garden furniture to be under cover in Winter. 🙂 As you can tell, I have definitely thought this through. 😄
DeleteI'm back and glad you'll have your own space to relax, Sue. This has been a lovely thread to read. I'm envying the people with beautiful views and the owners of parquet floors. I've a treat today as I've been given an old copy of Period Living so will enjoy the homes and gardens.
DeleteThat's great, I used to have a subscription to Period Living when I had my first little antiques shop. It's a lovely magazine, but sadly too full of adverts for me to want to buy it these days.
DeleteI had a lovely read and the magazine moves on to a friend who will do the same thing. I've just passed on some old favourites with some dating back to the beginning of this century!
DeleteThe magazine is really making a lot of people happy isn't it. 😀
DeleteThat’s easy - I would miss the view, the sunrises, the wildlife, the land.
ReplyDeleteAnything else is just a material possession and can be replaced.
Those really are the treasures of a more rural home aren't they. :-)
DeleteI would miss my view of the ocean. I'd also miss the fabulous washing machine which came with the house. I'd miss the hardwood floor which over the years has mellowed into colours of gold, chestnut, and red. From my previous house I miss my large kitchen garden and fruit area.
ReplyDeleteOh that must be wonderful. I think the only thing that would make me move again would be somewhere right near the sea.
DeleteMy house is normal moderate size in USA. But man who built it gave it nice large closets and a food pantry. I'd missy those.
ReplyDeleteA proper food pantry is really good to have isn't it, and storage of any kind is always a bonus.
DeleteI enjoyed reading everyone's comments and for me it is easier to say what I wouldn't miss! - My
ReplyDeleteNoisy Neighbours!
Oh gosh, poor you. I can imagine nothing worse. This really is a lovely string of comments isn't it. xx
DeleteWe certainly miss having a second loo. You can guarantee that Gray beats me to the bathroom every morning! I also miss the utility room from our home 3 moves back. It housed the washer, dryer and a big fridge freezer and had a (third) loo just off it. I could close the kitchen door on any mess as the utility opened onto the back garden and contained any muddy footprints from the kids (or mucky adults!)
ReplyDeleteA new kitchen is very exciting :)
Angie
So you've gone from three loos. to two loos and now you have to share, oh Angie ... I feel your pain. Planning the kitchen carefully with our kitchen designer was very important to me, hopefully it will all be fitted in a couple of weeks and I will see if I got it right.
Delete