Thursday, 30 July 2026

My Second Shopping Trip of July

28th Aldi - £30.19

I guess with the holiday in the middle of the month and lots of being out and about, I've just not needed to replenish supplies until now.  So my shopping this month has been relatively cheap.  Just two trips up to now and both times to Aldi.

At the moment Alan is working hard at the bungalow each and every day. He's currently halfway through painting the whole place with two coats of brilliant white, and then he will be on to two coats of a lovely creamy colour in the main room and mine.  So while he is this busy I am making tea each night for the pair of us, and taking him a sandwich halfway through the day to keep his energy levels up.  Hopefully, this will start eating into the freezer stock in both our freezers and start to make a dent in the cupboard stock in mine ready for moving.


These things are what I would deem as my choices, although they are being used for both of us.


These are purely Alan's as I have really gone off seeded loaves, I can't eat cheese or chocolate and  I absolutely hate cherries ... or any fruit with a stone for that matter.  😬


We share a four pack of sparkling water once a month.


And here's the receipt for posterity. 😀


Sue xx



21 comments:

  1. Our food shopping this month has been very high. We seem to get less and less for our money every week, and me not feeling great means that I've not been concentrating on cutting costs. We might need to take the time to drive to Lidl and try them instead of Sainsbugs. It's a lot cooler today so it will be more comfortable to go out.
    Alan is amazing, isn't he, working every day in such heat. Your bungalow will be ready in no time!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard to stay in the totally frugal mindset when you are feeling rough isn't it. Give yourself some grace until your feeling a bit better.

      Delete
  2. I did a top up shop yesterday mainly for fruit and veg-it was much more expensive than I thought! Alan reminds me of Norrie in his determination to get things done. Last Monday, in the boiling heat, he and our daughter fitted an acoustic wall for my son in law’s new office at home. He then went back on Friday and fitted a trim as he wasn’t totally keen on how the panelling looked. These Scotsmen are tenacious! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan will work until he's dripping with sweat, just to get a job finished. I am much more 'oh it will get done another day' ... yes we occasionally drive each other mad. 😄

      Delete
  3. Your house renovation and upcoming move are really moving on apace aren’t they, my husband would be the same, throws himself into projects with energy - not always easy as we get older. I can’t be bothered with cherries, although I do use the glacé type in fruit cake.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I don't even like the glacé type of cherries. I never took part in the debate in on who should have the cherry in the tin of mixed fruit on a Sunday night. 😄

      Delete
  4. What amazing progress on the bungalow!
    We have stayed within budget of £5 a day for 2. It has been mainly salads in the hot weather, with fruit or yoghurt for pudding, I like ground almonds and a bit of honey, from when we kept bees, in Aldi Greek Style yoghurt, £1.49 a kilo.
    I have been poorly so sent DH for some tinned soups with no UPF stuff from M&S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Good quality tinned soup can be so comforting. ❤️

      Delete
  5. The way you separated the shop into your own choices, Alan's items and shared supplies makes the £30.19 total much more informative than a receipt alone. Using the move as a deadline for eating through both freezers and the cupboard stock is sensible too: it turns ordinary evening meals into part of the downsizing plan, while the sandwiches help keep the bungalow work moving. The sparkling-water split is a good example of how a small monthly purchase can be tracked without making the whole budget complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make it all sound much more sensible than I thought it was. :-)

      Delete
  6. Dave is away for ten days starting today, and I'm looking upon this as a chance to eat down a lot of the food stocked in our pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's nice to be catering just for yourself for a while. You can make and eat exactly what you fancy, when you fancy it. . Alan requested cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches for his lunch on Thursday ... I didn't join him in that particular delicacy. 😄

      Delete
    2. Cheese and strawberry jam, both in one sandwich !, I have never heard of that combination. My late husband, liked peanut butter and onion, a friend ate potato chip (crisp's) and ketchup sandwiches, None of these would pass my lips.

      Delete
    3. My Scotsman also eats cheese and strawberry jam-he says it’s no different from me eating cranberry and Brie! Catriona

      Delete
    4. MPoE - Those are some strange combinations, mind you I do enjoy a crisp and mayo sandwich every now and then. 😄

      Delete
    5. Catriona - True I guess. Alan also loves a cheese scone with strawberry jam. The lady serving in the M&S cafe ... back in the day when they actually had people serving you ... once told Alan he'd picked up the wrong scone when he added a pot of jam to his plate. 😄

      Delete
  7. You did well with shopping only twice in July! I shopped five times in July, but, managed to stay within budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have to keep out of the way for viewings I might find myself shopping a lot more in August. 😃

      Delete
  8. Seems like I spent a lot on food this week for only me...but my freezer is stocked well enough to last me a little over two weeks. This morning I used the rest of the dry milk powder to bulk up what I had left in the carton of oat milk. I'm trying to use everything up before I buy any more. This chocolates look like our version of Twix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are Aldi dupe of Twix. Alan says they taste exactly the same, but they are half the price. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.