Thursday, 2 July 2026

Peter and Paul

 


'Two little dicky birds sitting on a wall ... '

Or as was the case yesterday 13 little dicky birds sitting on a roof.  


They were there for quite a while, more than enough time for me to go in and pick up my camera, and then suddenly they were gone.  But I had the proof.  


I loved this nursery rhyme as a child, and then in a weird twist of fate I married a Peter and my best friend married a Paul.  We laughed many times about our little annoying 'dicky birds' and how we wished on occasion that they would fly away.

It took me 26 years to fly away from mine.  😄


Sue xx




16 comments:

  1. The people either side of us moved away. Two lovely couples have moved in. The husbands are Peter and Paul. Should I change my name to Mary, so we can sing "where have all the flowers gone"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A favourite easy singing rhyme that children adore and they like to do the actions too. Earworm firmly in place now-thanks😂Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry, I had an earworm firmly in place a couple of days ago ... it drove me mad. 😄

      Delete
  3. That rhyme took me back 70+ years. I remember my Dad used to do the trick with the bits of tissue paper stuck on his finger which he would put behind our ear and then it was gone, whilst singing the song. Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if anyone else used to do the paper actions! A favourite when we were small enough to be amazed 🙂 Karen S

      Delete
    2. I've never seen the paper trick. My Dad just used his hands, when the birds flew away they went behind his back. 😀

      Delete
    3. Lovely memories. ❤️

      Delete
  4. I have been saying that verse all day yesterday, my grandmother use to say that to us if we were sad, with paper on her finger, lots of happy memories, (Sandy mid wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, once it's in your head it stays there doesn't it. 😄

      Delete
  5. Oh, fond memories. My grandad used to do that game with us and for ages we couldn't work out what had happened. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some wonderful little rhymes with actions when we were little weren't there. I guess there's something very similar going on for the smallest generation now.

      Delete
  6. My Dad used to do that action, only he called it two little blackbirds, and he would use a ballpoint pen and ink his forefingers and have them fly away" Jack, fly away Jill, come back Jack, come back Jill". We could NOT figure that out for the longest time. He did it for the grandkids too. Thank you for the memory! (An American here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to reclaim a memory isn't it. ❤️

      Delete
  7. My mother used to recite that rhyme and she said her uncles used to say it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that simple little rhymes pass down the generations for the latest little ones to enjoy. 😀

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.