Tuesday, 28 July 2026

I'm Not a People Person

 


I do all of the above, and it makes me happy.  😀

I couldn't even tell you what the newest trends are, fashion-wise, home-wise, or reading-wise.  I love to get things second-hand, although for the past year or so, I've been selling not buying ... well apart from a few £1 books of course.

I don't know how old my phone is.  I know our contracts are up for renewal every couple of years and we nearly always say no to a new phone, and reiterate that we will stay on our SIM only contract.  Alan got a new phone a couple of years ago, but bought it outright rather than on a monthly payment scheme.  I've had mine for much longer than him, it works, I'm used to it, it does what I want it to do, and it's all that I need.

I bought my car new in 2017, it had high mileage for it's age when I used to drive backwards and forwards to Manchester from Wales every single week, or to Berkshire from Wales once a month.  But since we've lived here and I can't drive as far, the mileage has gone right down in comparison to it's age.  So ... it's staying with me until it's wheels drop off ... or something equally dramatic.  😄

And as you have seen, we are most definitely downsizing our home in the very near future.


We had another viewing last night, and once again because it was at 7pm we had to handle it ourselves.  We were expecting just one man, but he brought his family with him, his wife and two grown-up children, perfectly acceptable when they were viewing what could be a future family home, but it reinforced to me how much I am not that happy about having lots of people in the house ... especially ones that ask a million questions.

I think I am going to refuse to do any more viewings, it's about time the agents started earning their money.

Are you a real people person, or like me do you value your own company and just that of those closest to you?


Sue xx


 

56 comments:

  1. I have a new phone because mine stopped working but all my furniture is second hand and I'm happy with that. I'm not in competition with anybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the perfect way to be isn't it, both for ourselves and the planet, how much new stuff does the world actually need!! I am sick of adverts for things popping up everywhere I go online at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Only white goods come new here (and that only because we don't have a local auction which occasionally has them from house-clearance, as we did in Carms). Our furniture is 2nd hand, some of it antique pieces Keith restored. I need to have a good clear out of old pre-Covid stock but no dealers frequent the car boot sale I could go to (which is 40 miles away too, not exactly local!) A £5 table or two in September's fair perhaps. I am a people person, and a natural teacher, and really miss having someone locally I can share and discuss my interests with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually most of my white goods have been new, but once purchased they are here until they die, we don't chop and change. I love my vintage furniture, which is mostly second-hand Ercol. It's all coming with us.

      Delete
  3. I used to be much more of a people person, partly because I had to be for work…..but these days, I crave my own space much more, no burning desire to join lots of groups, and go out much less often than I did - through choice.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap, I was a shop manager or a shop owner for years and coped pretty well then, but moving to a farm in the middle of nowhere gave me the 'permission' to be my introverted self and let all that go. I managed the three Farmers Markets and one bric-a-brac stall a month, and the carboot sales as they had limited time frames. :-)

      Delete
  4. Do you have ‘open for inspection’ times when selling in the UK……I know it didn’t happen when we sold up in 1972.
    Here they’re usually an advertised hour when the house is open for buyers to come look with the agent present to answer all those questions. The vendor usually goes out during that time and yes sticky beak neighbours sometimes pop in but the fact the agent takes names often scares them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some estate agents do plan 'open days', but it's not a regular occurrence really in the UK. Potential buyers get to view the property on their own with the agent, after making an appointment.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the people thing - I never have enjoyed big groups or having to do small talk. I'm also with you on phones and second hand things (often much better quality than the new equivalent).
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small talk has always been the bane of my life when in a social setting. Talking to strangers in queues or when out and about is fine, but being made to stand and just make meaningless small talk at events or parties is ridiculous.

      Delete
  6. We actually ended up showing people round our last house several times and I vowed never again! We were both working then and I found the whole thing too stressful. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just ask questions that they wouldn't ask of anyone else don't they! Also having done two viewings it made me realise that I couldn't stand doing it over and over ... I hate repetition.

      Delete
  7. I like my own company and am an introvert. I do like to go out to the gym and pool but those are solitary adventures. Most of my furnishings are midcentury I bought over 25 years ago. And even then, they were used mid 1950's furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mid-century furniture, they have good quality woods and proper craftsmanship. Things were made to last then, and made to be used well.

      Delete
  8. I'm an only child. No cousins . I had a very solitary childhood and it's followed me into adulthood. I have three children and did all the parties, hobbies and clubs for them. Now I'm in my 60's I love a quiet, ordered life. My wants are non-existent and my needs are few. Luckily Husband is the same and so we have grown together not apart.
    Nothing is more pleasurable that a few hours on our allotment with Walter the dog enjoying the peace and quiet. And of course home grown produce for tea!😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that all sounds just perfect. You seem to have a happy life, of your own choosing ... absolutely magical. xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sue. As you know, it has to be worked at. Of course we have challenges, the care of my Dad being the biggest.. But the sun always comes up. 😁

      Delete
    3. Absolutely, it does. xx

      Delete
  9. Definitely get your agents to do the viewings, that's what you're paying them for. OH and I are quite solitary people, just really close to a few relatives and friends, and we like our own company. A lot of our furniture is 2nd hand, but I did buy a new leather suite with an inheritance from my Dad, it will last us out. My phone was my daughter's and OH had my old one. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing from now on. We did these two viewings as the viewers could only come round at 7pm, so outside office hours. I am trying to convince Alan to hang on to his leather sofa when we move, the only thing wrong with it is the colour, but he always has throws on it anyway. I will find the perfect colour throw for him and he might relent. ;-)

      Delete
  10. I am a people person, I know that - but at the end of a busy day, I am grateful to come back to my little home and just be me. I buy 2nd hand whenever I can - and new when I must - but then with a 'buy well, buy once' mantra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really must be a people person with all the services and events that you attend. The 'buy once, buy well' mantra is a perfect one isn't it. My Ercol second-hand furniture has really shown me that.

      Delete
  11. I love being with people, and then I've had enough and need to chill. I used to play 'Angry Birds' for a spell after a packed teaching day in order to decompress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never played 'Angry Birds', it was hugely popular a few years back wasn't it. I bet there are still a lot of addicts. :-)

      Delete
  12. I used to be a people person but I am not anymore and I take responsibility for my part in that. I enjoy my family and a small circle of others. My lifelong best friend died last year and I am still working on accepting that devastating fact. May I say that you should make it a point for the agents to do ALL the showings. As you say, you are paying them handsomely to do a job that you seem to doing on their behalf and I am sure you won't have a problem getting tough and seeing that the agents earn their commission. Lots of luck with your house sale!! - Essdee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my best friend when I was 44 and she was 45, it's as hard as losing a close family member and takes a LOT of getting over. xx

      Unfortunately, they do not do out of hours viewings which these two were, but from now on they will be doing all the viewings, unless there is a genuine reason for them not to. Oh, we have sold enough houses to be able to get tough with the agents.

      Delete
  13. The agents should absolutely be doing those viewings! I don't blame you for refusing to deal with that! We try to keep things simple here too. We certainly don't get a new phone every time our old purchase deal expires, which the phone companies would love us to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They usually do but these were out of hours viewings at 7pm at night both times, so we agreed to do them. Phone companies really want you to get a new phone every year or so don't they, not me I like what I already have with everything. That's why I really felt for you when you lost your camera while you were on holiday. Any new one will just not be as good will it. :-(

      Delete
  14. I'm definitely an introvert. When one of my nieces was about three years old and visiting a children's museum, she was dismayed when others tried to enter an exhibition room we previously had to ourselves. She immediately ran to the doorway, threw out her arms to block them and yelled, "NO PEOPLE!!" My kind of girl. :)
    Agree with Steve and others, let the agents do the viewings. Way too much for you especially with very inquisitive people (and folks who don't really tell you who is actually coming along for the nose-around).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love your nieces reaction. Oh to be able to do that as an adult ... and get away with it. :-)

      Delete
  15. Here in Canada, it's the Agent's job to show the house. Most ask that sellers leave the property while it's being shown. I don't even want to know who they are that buys our house. I learnt my lesson 35 years ago when I thought I was being kind by talking with the buyer about curtain sizes, they kept calling and dropping by. I had to ask the Agent to tell them no further contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exactly the same here, except for out of hours viewings when they ask if the seller would be willing to do a showing of the property. The last lady that came asked for Alan's phone number, luckily he said that he would prefer her to contact us through the agent. Phew!!

      Delete
  16. Definitely for the agents to do the showings not you or Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is when it is during office hours. From now on we will be trying to make sure all viewings are done when the agents are available.

      Delete
    2. Office hours? The ones I know work when their clients need a viewing. How silly with people working during the days to be so rigid. Good luck. I hope it sells quickly and permanently soon for you both. Good idea on the throw.

      Delete
    3. We live in a small town, we wouldn't expect them to travel backwards and forwards after work. For the Saturday afternoon viewing they would normally have done it, but we had only gone on the market the night before and they were fully booked.

      Delete
  17. As 50 and counting says here in Canada we are asked to leave while the agent shows the house. Intovert here as well.

    Good bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is exactly what is done here.

      Delete
  18. I don’t think I realised I was introverted until I was older but as a nurse you are around people all the time but with a definite roll to play. Now as a retired senior I most enjoy social occasions where I still have a role, I volunteer at an op shop and tend to be the person washing the dishes at fundraisers etc. I find endless small talk with acquaintances stressful. JennyP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small talk is just draining isn't it, I hate it.

      Delete
  19. I am a people person but definitely not all the time. Great to have a breather and just be by myself at times. We buy lots of things second hand but do buy new when we need to after lots of research and nearly always buy top of the range as you get what you pay for. Whenever we have sold a property we always have had the agent show people round. Good luck with it all. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what we usually do too, but this time the two different sets of buyers couldn't come during office hours when the agents were available, so we relented. I am not relenting anymore. :-)

      Delete
  20. I know what fashions are 'in' by watching the news and weather readers. Seems like pale blue is in at the moment and a large swirly pattern. I haven't been to the shops so I don't actually know but they all wear the latest fashions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from watching television and social media that floaty dresses are in, in a big way this Summer, but I'm a jeans girl through and through ... no matter what the weather. I only go to clothes shops when I really NEED something. :-)

      Delete
  21. It never fails to astonish me that brokers ask owners to show their own houses in UK. They would never allow it here even if an owner wanted to for some reason. The owner is the worst person to show their own house; they don't know how to sell, when to talk or when to shut up. It seems ineffective and a total waste of everybody's time, broker, seller, and buyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read your comment about the brokers not being willing to show the house outside office hours, and I'm well and truly gobsmacked. There must be something fundamental I'm not understanding about your system. Do your brokers not earn money on sales commission? Are they paid hourly wages instead? I cannot imagine a real estate broker over here only being willing to work during the day; they regularly show houses in the evening and on weekends! My goodness gracious!

      Delete
  22. I'm totally in agreement with you Sue about not buying lots of new stuff all the time. I have had to buy a new phone recently after having one for about 8 years or so. Because the VERY FEW Apps that i like to use, Lidls, Ebay etc were not working because my phone was so old. I resent being pushed into the purchase but it is what it is. I also don't like irritating folk viewing my home, especially ones that quite clearly have no intention of buying it. You would be surprised at the number of people who turn up to have a nosey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone viewing these days has to prove a genuine desire to buy. A mortgage offer in place, proof of finances if it's to be a cash sale and proof of ID. My son had to do all this just recently when he started viewings.

      Delete
  23. Have I missed something? I thought you accepted a full price offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, and then they withdrew it as they found out they wouldn't be able to build a garage. 😄 I added a comment ti the last blog almost as soon as it went live.

      Delete
  24. Hi Sue, I see you have got the blog Going Gently on your read list I just wondered if you have been able to get on the blog because when I try I just get an error message from Blogger. Jane (a regular reader)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, John's blog is working perfectly for me. 🤔

      Delete
  25. I am mostly not a people person and I am trying to talk more to them...I was used to Hubby carrying the social load. Peace and quiet minding my own business in my home is my Shangrilah. (sp?) People marching through my house evaluating it? No thank you, I could not be here when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine when they are marching through, it's when they stop and talk to me that I have a problem. 😄 Like you I could happily live at home just minding my own business, I think I'm in training to be a hermit. 😀

      Delete
  26. It was kind of you to accommodate the out of office hours showings. Hopefully, all the future showings will be done during office hours by the agents. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more have been done today by the agents thank goodness. 😄

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.