Saturday, 3 October 2026

The Books That I Read in September

 


I started the month reading this book, the one that inspired my trying once again to live for a week on just one pound a day, it made for a nice little challenge.  I enjoyed the book and have kept it to revisit in a few years time, to see if the prices that she listed for 2018 and which had seriously crept up this year will rise again ... somehow I think they will.  😕

Kept


I really enjoyed this book and whizzed very quickly through it, even though I was busy.  It was a well paced story about a woman being brave and finding herself again after being controlled by her husband for far too long.  It was a good story.

Donated



While there were a few good recipes in this book, there definitely weren't enough to make me want to keep it or cook from it.  I am eating a lot more simply these days, so going through my cook books is making me quite ruthless in letting them go.  I would rather someone who wants to use them got themselves a bargain on the charity book table in Booths.

Donated

Holly the Café - Boat Cakes and Bakes by Joanna Gould

Sadly, this book is now only available as a pdf download, but following the link shows you a few of the pages from it.  

I bought my copy a few years ago when Joanna and Victor were living on their narrowboat Zero and working on Holly, their café boat, firstly the renovation of her and then making a living selling coffee and cakes every weekend from her side hatch.  Of course they were also making money from YouTube to fill the coffers a little bit more..  

The book has some lovely sumptuous recipes, all very easy to follow, I just don't make that sort of fancy cake anymore, sticking instead to the few basics that I know off by heart.  It's funny how life changes in so many ways isn't it.

Donated 



This was another really good fiction book, I seem to have gotten better at choosing my fiction recently.  It had a good twist to the tale, which I actually half guessed early on in the story, but that still had another twist in the tale at the end to make me happy.  Highly recommended.

Donated

So overall that was another month of good reading, there was one book that I just skimmed through and wouldn't recommend at all so I'm not even showing it here ... why on earth did I buy it, it was far too boring and technical for me.

Life is too short for bad books.


Sue xx



2 comments:

  1. I’m taking ages to read my 2 books from the library, I know why, I’m listening to podcasts a lot now, which is ok but somehow feels a bit lazy!
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting selection of books, I've been reading murder mystery books at the moment and enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.