Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Thank You

 

Early Autumn Morning by Lucy Almey Bird - my October Calendar Page

Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments on my last blog post.  We are both slowly coming to terms with being a completely animal free household, something that we have never experienced before.

When I met Alan twenty two years ago I had two cats, having only just gone down from having four and just about recovering from that.  He had a Border Collie dog called Sophie, that actually lived with his ex-wife while he travelled backwards and forwards to Berkshire for his job. When we moved in together and then married, we moved to quite a few places in England and Wales always with a steady stream of pets as our constant companions.

Over the course of the last two or so years we have lost all three of our last, very beautiful furry family, it's been hard but we have managed to adapt and we will again.  Hopefully one day in the not too distant future we will adopt a dog but we are going to be leaving it for a while.  

Ginger has been our final cat, which for me is a hard thing to say. I have had a pet cat since my first birthday when I was bought a beautiful jet black cat by my Nana, which in my young mind was blue, so he was called Bluey,  He remained with me until just after my first marriage, when sadly he died at the grand old age of almost 18. But if I was going to end my cat adventures on any cat it would have to be Ginger, he was the most laid back and charismatic of all my feline friends, so what a happy memory to hold forever.

Thank you for all your support on the last post, it meant the world to both of us. 💖


Sue xx



22 comments:

  1. The girls will be my final cats and I hope they live to be old girls. Alfie is 16 now so has a couple of years at most. I decided no more dogs for me after we had to have mum's old dog Trixie pts. I am a cat person really and mine are such good company now I am on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a cat person and Alan is a dog person, together we have covered these bases and many more haven't we. It does seem very lonely here without Ginger wandering backwards and forwards all day. :-(

      Delete
  2. Sue, I'm so sorry to hear about Ginger. Losing any pet is hard, and losing the last of a long series is especially so. I love the picture in the previous post of Ginger snoozing in bed with Suky. (Well, I love all the pictures, to be honest!)

    It's amazing to think you had the same cat from the age of one until your first marriage. Talk about a special pet! I can see how a black cat would look blue to a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Yes Bluey was special, almost as laid back as Ginger, so I began and ended with two very exceptional cats. :-)

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about Ginger, Sue and Alan. I too love the picture of Suki and ginger snuggled up together. I remember when you lost Suky he would stand out at the front gate looking for her/him. He was definitely one in a million. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, poor Ginger mourned for just over two months. Waiting at the front of the house for Suky to return from a walk that he never saw her being carried back from. He mourned differently when we lost Mavis as I think he understood how ill she was in her last few days. More of a sad acceptance, and then getting used to a new routine centred around us.

      Delete
  4. You have had quite a pet history. It's tough to lose a member of the family. Lovely photos of your history with Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never not had a pet. Before my first cat at one year old we had my Dad's old Border Collie, Laddie. Dad couldn't bear to replace him with another dog so I was allowed a cat birthday present. He thought it would last a few years and then he would get another dog ... he waited until the week after I married and took Bluey with me. :-)

      Delete
  5. Our last cat Shania lived until she was 21 years old. Just a real sweetheart, loved everybody and everybody loved her. When she left us a few years back Harvey and I decided no more cats. We were so very attached to her our little furry baby. I had not going to get another cat, but our neighbour came over and said there was one kitten left where they got theirs and the owner said that he was going to drown it. Shania was the runt of the litter and I just couldn't let the owner destroy her. So she came home with me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, what an amazing age!! I would also be tempted to rescue a kitten or cat faced with that prospect, but I must be sensible ... well as sensible as I possibly can be.

      Delete
  6. 🫂
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a long and happy relationship you've had with cats, Sue. Each one that I've loved and lost has broken my heart a little more and after saying goodbye to 17 year old Stephen back in 2022 I vowed never to have another, that is until a certain black cat from the cat colony up the road walked through the front door one morning in 2023 demanding to be fed and the rest, as they say, is history.
    Thinking of you both. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to have gotten to 66 years old and always had a cat in my life. William definitely knew where he wanted to live. 🐈‍⬛

      Delete
  8. I am sorry I missed that post - going to read it now. Cats add so much to our lives that when we lose them, for whatever reason, it is a real loss. I have had my heart broken by a sweet kitty several times. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They break our hearts don't they, but we would never be without them. 🐈🐈‍⬛

      Delete
  9. So very sorry Sue. My cat is 21 and the vet said she won't last much longer (heart issue). I understand not wanting to get another pet for now. I hope you and Alan are doing well. On a lighter note, your new house looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope your cat goes gently when her time comes. Our older animals are so very special aren't they. ❤️

      We need a break from all pets for a while as Alan wants to be free to have any sort of holiday for at least a year after this year's renovation work. Then we will probably get a dog who can travel the UK with us.

      Delete
  10. We lost Dancer cat almost 10 months ago and still miss him. But, we've acquired two chickens and there are 4 feral cats who live in the garden that we feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would love to have chickens again, but unfortunately we can't have them where we are moving too. A couple in the garden would have been lovely.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.