The final shopping of September which with one thing and another slipped under the radar, leaving the photo trapped in my camera, it cost me £19.54. My shopping seems slightly different at the moment while I am making Alan a packed lunch every day, and cooking an evening meal for us both to eat together. He supplies the meatier parts of his meals and I do everything else. As you can see from this photo, this is the last of my shopping photos that will include Ginger's little treats, he needed these for me to be able to put his medicine on. He was very good at taking it twice a day.
Unfortunately, we had stocked up on all his treats, his favourite foods and two giant bags of his favourite 'posh' cat litter in the days before his sudden death. This has all now been donated to our local animal rescue centre in Lancaster. They were very grateful, as they were when we took all the dogs items last year. It's nice to think of everything being put to good use.
Here's the receipt for the shopping for future perusal. 😄
My first shopping of October was a simple loaf of bread from Booths, after we had stopped in there for a coffee. Then I picked up two boxes of paracetamol from Aldi while I walked around with Alan, I didn't need anything else.
I didn't buy that much more on my next trip to Aldi on 2nd October, spending just £10.56.
I did add two tins of peach slices to the trolley after taking that photo, it was taking the photo that reminded me I hadn't picked them up.
The receipt.
I won't be needing much, or even any, shopping from the supermarket this week either as we have just started with our Riverford veg boxes again, after taking the Summer off to enjoy our homegrown crops.
I was tempted to start again this week for two reasons. Firstly without Ginger's diet to be catered for we suddenly have an extra £25 a week in the housekeeping kitty, and there is currently an offer of a free chopping board that's worth £22.50, and mine is looking a bit dodgy at the moment. So I jumped at the chance.
This cauliflower is HUGE.
I don't know how they managed to cram it into the small box that I ordered for this week, I know I couldn't get it back in after getting it out to check things over ... and it won't fit into the fridge at all. I have now persuaded Alan to share some some cauliflower cheese with me for our tea to use half of it up and so that I can make the rest of fit onto a fridge shelf. 😁
The new chopping board is lovely, and once it is oiled it will be ready for action. Just wiping it over with a damp cloth as was suggested, showed off the lovely grain of the wood.
My instructions. 💚
To bring my spend up to the required amount to get the chopping board I completed the rest of my shopping for this week. So Aldi is going to miss me completely for a week. I needed some milk, so I thought I would try this Oat milk, it's been a while since I've had oat milk. I used to make my own, but there's something so beautifully creamy about carefully made professional oat milk, so I thought a treat was in order. I also chose some eggs and hummus as my choices and Alan asked for a pack of Pork and Apple sausages. They look so like the ones we used to produce, it was a real blast from the past when I pulled them out of their cool box.
As the delivery was first thing in the morning I was even hungrier by the time that I had unpacked everything so, I used one of the Cavolo Nero leaves in my lovely buttery scrambled eggs ... it just had to be done.
If you would like to take advantage of the chopping board offer while it is still on you can use this LINK and enter the code CHOPTOIT at the checkout, hopefully my referral link and the code will work together, if not this will at least give you £15 off your second order with Riverford.
Now I'm off to start prepping a cauliflower cheese.
Sue xx




The Riverford produce always looks so good.
ReplyDeleteLovely cauli, I thought about getting one this week then forgot - duh!
The cauliflower cheese was delicious ... and now the rest of it is cut up and squeezed into the freezer. 😀
DeleteOh Sue that first photo was poignant…Ginger’s treats. Thanks for the Riverford link. June
ReplyDeleteI know ☹️🐱
DeleteI hope the link works properly, I can't tell because when I click on it, it just tells me that I am already a customer. 😄
So sorry to hear the sad news about Ginger - such a special boy.
DeleteRiverford link worked fine for me - I have set up a weekly order as I didn’t sow my winter veg crops this year as weather was sooo hot, you should get credits and I’m getting £15 off next weeks order - definitely “win-win” thank you very much 😀 Country Cook
PS- though I can’t claim for a chopping board as I’ve done it through your link- I don’t need a new one!
Thanks for letting me know. Only claiming what you actually need is lovely in my opinion. ❤️
DeleteI got a lovely cauli this week too, along with French beans, broccoli, and had half a cabbage from Tam last week (she had a huge one in her veg box).
ReplyDeleteI am glad that Ginger's food went to help a good charity.
Those sausages look good.
We do have good British grown vegetables at this time of year don't we. Alan said the sausages were delicious. I thought they were a bit expensive really, but they were really good quality. I guess it's better to have two good ones on a meal than four cheap ones with questionable ingredients. 😀
DeleteI'm glad Ginger's extra food and treats went to the shelter. Your box of fresh produce looks great.
ReplyDeleteIt seemed the right thing to do, they were very appreciative, and they have a fund raising café there, so we got a coffee and a sausage butty too. :-)
DeleteWhat a wonderful way to make Ginger's food, treats and litter go to a place that can use them all. Wow, that cauliflower is huge!!!.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
It really was, it's going to make us both two lovely meals, then the leaves and stalk will be added to a pot of soup, so at least two more meals each that way. 😀
DeleteLovely cauli, I really must take a look at the Riverford website.
ReplyDeleteGingers treats have gone to a good home at least 🫂
Alison in Devon x
The Riverford Box contents look lovely and I would be making soup with some of that lovely cauliflower. Catriona
ReplyDeleteThat IS a huge cauliflower! I love cauliflower but we don't often buy it. Maybe Dave is trying to avoid having to fit it into the fridge!
ReplyDeleteYour veggies look wonderful. Riverford must be a great farm. I'd be interested in how you make cauliflower cheese. Is it with cheese? It was kind of you to donate Ginger's food, I'm sure they appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful veg. Glad Ginger’s stuff found a good home. I love cauliflower cheese.
ReplyDelete