Saturday, 15 August 2026

Shopping and Shopping Bags

 


My little black fold-up bag is probably one of the hardest working things I have owned for years.  

I bought it way back in 2013 when we first moved to North Wales and I shopped regularly in Marks and Spencer in Llandudno.  I had simply forgotten my shopping bag one day and didn't want to buy a plastic carrier bag, so a reusable bag that was actually made from recycled plastic and sold at the checkouts seemed like a very good idea.  It used to tell me all this information on the bag, but after thirteen years of constant use the words have faded as has the logo for M&S.


Anyway it came with me yesterday, as it always does, to Aldi and held all this shopping with ease.

14th - Aldi - £16.97

Once again my shopping included some things I don't usually buy, as some of them were for Alan's lunches ... not the Tasty Licks I hasten to add, they are most definitely for Ginger.🐱


Once the bag was unpacked, my bag was refolded and is now happily living in my handbag until next time.

11th - Booths - £52.96

A couple of days earlier I had shopped at Booths for some things we needed and some treats. The shopping was away and in the cupboard and fridge before I even though of taking a photo, so once again there is just a photo of the receipt for posterity. It's proving to be much more expensive to shop for both of us for two meals a day ... especially when there is a hard working man begging for treats.  

 But it's not a problem, he deserves them all.  😄



Sue xx


22 comments:

  1. My bag for life is a Wilko's one which I found discarded in a car park. I thought if its still there when I get back I'll pick it up. Well 3 hours later it was, so I bought it home and washed it - very useful and stores neatly in the bottom of my handbag. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Co-op bags for me that were bought on holiday. They wash and dry quickly and live folded up in my backpack. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really handy aren't they, always there and ready for action. :-)

      Delete
  3. I still have similar bag I got from John Lewis around 2009. Has a soft little zipper container that it fits into. Whenever I come over the Pond, I bring it and several others especially since I do my own grocery shopping when I'm in UK. One of my bags is made of ripstop nylon measures 35x38cm opened and can carry up to 60lbs (27+kg). It has a crossbody strap (a real bonus) and/or two regular hand straps for carrying. When empty it scrunches into its own tiny pouch (about 5x6cm) that literally fits in the palm of my hand. Must say I look like a regular bag lady walking back from the nearby Waitrose and M&S Food Hall with one bag slung across my body and two (or more) in each hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine hasn't got a zipper but it all folds into the little pouch bit, that can also act as a little inside pocket when the bag is in use. I daren't put that much weight into mine as it's getting quite thin now after all these years of use. :-)

      Delete
  4. Those foldaway bags are so useful 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really useful aren't they. :-)

      Delete
  5. I have a similar style bag of nylon that I ordered from Shutterfly years ago. It folds up nicely into my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A useful little bag. I have one in my handbag and various coat pockets. We used to carry lots of little bags, like most dog walkers, which were so useful for foraging blackberries.
    I was not well enough to go shopping so sent DH to Aldi with a shopping list. It cost a little more because he couldn’t find the wonky fruit and veg. Typical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss having some 'poo bags' in every pocket. As you say they were great for spur of the moment blackberry picking. Now I just have an 'old style' pound coin in every jacket pocket ready for getting a supermarket shopping trolley when needed. :-)

      Delete
  7. These hot spells have seen me buying ice lollies for the freezer so when I get overheated I can quickly cool down again. I have a wicker shopping basket I use when there is a pottering around the shops type small shop. Otherwise shopping bags and a box in the back of the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a basket briefly when we lived in Oxfordshire, but I found them too bulky. They do look good though don't they. :-)

      Delete
  8. I have a few favorite reusable bags, though my absolute favorite was in my camera bag when it was stolen in Rome. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww ... I still really feel for you about that. The feeling of unfairness and loss after a theft never really goes away does it. Like you I would be tracking those airbuds regularly. 🫤

      Delete
  9. I love my reusable bags.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They help save the planet, and our sanity don't they. 🙂

      Delete
  10. Shoppin. till we're droppin'! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm goin' to continue shoppin' until the bottom falls out of my bag. :-)

      Delete
  11. Since my groceries are being delivered these days, they arrive in brown paper grocery bags and I get charged 10 cents per bag. I reuse them to contain items to be recycled and then, I recycle them with the contents. Sometimes, I shred them to add to the compost pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really good deal, and reusable and recyclable is definitely the way forward for deliveries. ♻️

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.