Sunday, 23 August 2026

Cucumbers ... and a Confession

 


This for me has been the year of the cucumber, and considering how hot and dry it has been this year I am amazed by how many cucumbers I have managed to get off just one plant. 

As fast as I pick them another takes it's place, growing like an alien under the cover of the leaves, surprising me a few days later by already being ridiculously big.  They are tasty thank goodness, and have been my snack of choice whenever I get the nibbles, well it saves on buying any biscuits.


I have a confession to make ... I have never actually made a wrap!!

I always make sandwiches, I do buy wraps but I use them as thin pizza or quiche bases or to make homemade 'nacho style' crisps, never have I made a wrap in place of a sandwich until this week that was.

I had run out of fresh bread and needed to make Alan's lunch, the thought of driving backwards and forwards was too much so I got some wraps out of the freezer, thawed them to warm them and make them more pliable, and had a go.  The one you see on the plate with a bite out of it was my trial wrap ... it worked, although I struggled a bit with the folding at first.

I loved it.  Now I don't usually buy them for me when we are out and about although Alan has them regularly, I find the ones you get in the shop seem to be all bread and hardly any filling, mine were much more filled and so much more balanced.

I also have to confess that the 'chicken tikka' flavoured pieces of chicken that I used in Alan's wrap had been bought in error for Ginger, he has the plain chicken regularly but I doubt that's he's a chicken tikka flavoured kind of cat. 🐱

Alan had no qualms in using up the chicken, I had already admitted to the error of my ways.

Two wraps for Alan's lunch and I made another one for me while I was practising my new found rolling techniques.  As you can possibly just about see, I got super good at it by the time I made Alan's.  😄


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. Our cucumbers have been the same - we thought the plants weren’t producing any fruit, but in fact both were quietly working away producing “stealth cucumbers” lurking behind the leaves - having found the first few we have had plenty more to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been so pleased with ours all through the Summer now, hopefully we'll get a couple more before the colder nights draw in.

      Delete
  2. Wraps are often my choice for lunch. Yesterday was seeded wrap, hummus, roasted peppers and lettuce. It was delicious. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had wraps again today, using up the last of them from the freezer as I had no sliced bread for Alan's lunch ... this time with salmon and salad for both of us.

      Delete
  3. You have entered a whole new world of wraps as there are so many wraps, flatbreads from world cultures, we love the Lebanese and Middle East types but there is also soft taco ones too, so many different flavours. Enjoy and keep us informed of your tastes. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer the bread that I buy, but I have to admit to being a bit of a convert to wraps when the occasion calls for them. :-)

      Delete
  4. Look up tortilla roll appetizer. My favorite is a little cream cheese a little sour cream a little shredded cheddar. Green olives. and sometimes green onion. Microwave the onion a few seconds to take out the strong taste. Another is make tuna salad on the dry side and roll it in the tortilla. Also p butter and banana. If for dessert microwave some chocolate chips onto the tortilla first then add p butter and banana. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the tortilla roll appetisers do look nice, a good idea as nibbles for a party. There are so many uses for wraps aren't there. :-)

      Delete
  5. I have never made a wrap, but the falafel weap was my favourite choice back in the days when we used to go to pret quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've reminded me I have not had any falafel for ages, I'll have to remedy that. :-)

      Delete
  6. I love wraps. They are such a useful freezer standby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good for the freezer aren't they. They keep forever and thaw out in minutes while you get the filling ready. :-)

      Delete
  7. I tend to only use wraps when Tam is here. I make my own pizza dough bases. My cucumbers have been suffering by being inside - when really they probably would have been just as happy outside all summer and probably more prolific. I had some of one of Ed's HUGE organic cucumbers for lunch today. His are grown in his polytunnel and put mine to shame. Glad your plant has been doing well. Is it a Ridge cucumber?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not a ridge variety, or the Telegraph that I usually grow, it was from a random packet of seeds, I can't remember what variety sorry. It's been growing outside though as I have nowhere inside to grow them anymore.

      Delete
  8. The wraps look great, I like them because they are so much lighter to eat than a sandwich.
    Our cucumbers did moderately well and I’ll miss them when they’re finished. Tomatoes have done exceptionally well, especially the Big Daddy type some of which weigh 500g each!
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am still finding them a bit stodgier than the Danish loaf that I usually make my sandwiches out of. Wow, that is an amazing size for a tomato!! We have only had a couple of types of cherry tomato this year, I got the tumbling varieties so I could have them in my hanging baskets and troughs.

      Delete
  9. We put just 2 cucumber plants in this year & like you, we've had loads!! I think they've finished now but I bet we've had at least 30 cucumbers over the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so worth having at least one or two plants isn't it. I must do this again next year. :-)

      Delete
  10. I love wraps but had stopped buying them because most seemed to have strange unnecessary ingredients. Happily we've found the Crosta and Mollica ones that don't. Back to tasty wraps 😋
    Hasn't stopped me enjoying a good sarnie. Lovely looking cucumbers. My neighbour has a tiny greenhouse and grows them and we've had some from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's worth paying a little bit more the tastier less rubbish filled wraps isn't it. I used to always grow my cucumbers in the polytunnel, it's been nice to have a hot Summer that meant my outdoor ones did well.

      Delete

Anyone may leave a comment, but keep it nice and keep it friendly ... or you will be deleted. I have no time whatsoever for nastiness or trolls, but differing opinions are usually welcome.

If you find you have to comment Anonymously for technical reasons please always leave your first name at the end of your comments. I'm sorry but comments with no name will be deleted.