
Breakfast 1 - Yoghurt, Fruit and Granola
To lots of you this will probably be the most boring post you have ever looked at, but I did it with a purpose. I wanted to photograph my breakfasts each day as a visual aid to remind me at a quick glance the variations that I am having in my current diet ... and by diet I mean way of eating ... I am not on a diet. I dislike that the word has been hijacked over the years to mean a weight-loss type way of eating.
It's not strictly chronological as I forgot on a couple of mornings to photograph what I ate, or remembered halfway though and realised that no one really wants to see a half eaten bowl of scrambled eggs, or a slice of toast and jam with two huge bites out of it. But the things I forgot to photograph were not the end of the world, so as soon as I reached the magic seven days of photographed breakfasts I called it a day.
Breakfast 2 - Stewed Apple and Weetabix
Breakfast 3 - Strawberries and Weetabix
Breakfast 4 - Cheesy Scrambled Eggs on Toast
Breakfast 5 - Weetabix with Strawberries and Homegrown Blueberries
Breakfast 6 - Tomatoes and Red Onion on Toast
Breakfast 7 - Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with a Buttered Crust of Bread
I do eat other things occasionally and not always what is considered to be 'breakfast' food. I have been known for instance to have dahl and rice, or soup and toast. Breakfast doesn't have to mean cereals, fruits or something on toast. In Winter porridge makes a regular appearance, but the weather has been far too warm for porridge this last few weeks.
Of course all these breakfasts were served with the obligatory cup of black coffee. I like at least two cups to start each and every day. First I have just a cup of coffee, and then an hour later coffee and breakfast. It's the civilised way to do things. 😄
Now I am in the process of doing the same thing for my lunches, but in the meantime ... what's your favourite breakfast?
Sue xx
I hae to have a 2-stage breakfast, more substantial than I would like, to control side-effects from nintedanib. So, decent sized bowl of muesli followed by toast or bread roll and honey or eggs or bubble and squeak etc. I certainly last until lunch time now!
ReplyDeleteI also have to have what I jokingly refer to as my 'Hobbit breakfast', two small breakfasts usually eaten at least two hours apart, for a totally different medical reason. It keeps me going for longer too.
DeleteBreakfast is a minefield when you are allergic to eggs. I loved every breakfast variety of eggs and miss them.
ReplyDeleteI need tea, hot and black first thing. Breakfast was all over the place when I was working as the hospital I worked at divided our breaks into two sessions. First one was breakfast and it could be anytime from 0745-10. I found that the time really affected what I wanted to eat.
It really is, when I didn't eat eggs I ate a lot of toast and yoghurt type breakfasts or just a big bowl of porridge. Bringing eggs back into my diet for now really helps with variety.
DeleteMonday to Friday,small bowl of cereal (with a bit of fresh fruit on top) & milk. Coffee.
ReplyDeleteSunday, fresh baked croissant, orange juice, coffee
Saturday (not every week!) rasher of bacon, mushroom, scrambled egg, toast. (black pudding, small tomato, leftover potatoes...) coffee. All cooked by other half. But that's brunch and has to keep me going till late afternoon
I think Alan would love your Saturday breakfast the most, I would love you Sunday one if I could get hold of a good dairy-free croissant. I do make up a Jus-Rol pack of Pain au Chocolats occasionally, a real treat.
DeleteEverything looks so delicious. My favorite, though I don't always have it, is plain kefir with blueberries and walnuts. That or eggs.
ReplyDeleteI have to hold my hands up and admit I have never in my life tried kefir. I guess it is all dairy, so I can't attempt it now. :-(
DeleteSue, reading back through all the comments, I don't know if you remember that I also had to give up dairy post-Covid? Last year a friend recommended the plain kefir drink.
DeleteFor a couple of weeks I took 50ml every 2nd or 3rd day. Then I went to every day, which I kept up for a couple of months. Yes, I "reacted" to it at first which is why I did not go straight into daily consumption but I am delighted that now I can manage small amounts of Cheese with no ill-effects (not even the dried out nasal membrane!)
i appreciate that we are all different and this will not work for everybody, but I thought I'd share with you, just in case.
Thanks for sharing that, it could be really helpful. 🙂
DeleteFingers crossed for you. I should add that because I took so l little at first, and not every day, I ended up having to throw stuff away when it had been opened for too long, and it's not cheap.
DeleteBUT it has been so worth it to now occasionally be able to have a cheese & salad sandwich for lunch . . .
Not helpful for me but for others. I would never eat dairy products, there's far too much cruelty involved. So it's good that any temptation has been removed for me.
DeleteI’m not one for cooked breaky. Muesli with yoghurt and any in season fresh fruit most days and like Angela a croissant treat on Sunday.Always black coffee. JennyP
ReplyDeleteBlack coffee is a must isn't it. If you want me to make sense, wait until after I've had AT LEAST one. ;-)
DeleteSame breakfast menu every day for my wife and me. Big bowl of oatmeal (soaked overnight then cooked 2 minutes, let stand 10 minutes) with 3 chopped prunes, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed in. A side of 1 small chopped unpeeled apple. A glass of plain soy milk with a spoonful of instant coffee mixed in. Yummy. Never get tired of it.
ReplyDeleteOh you sound so much like my Dad, he had a real mix of his favourite things every single day for his breakfast. The only time he went 'off menu' was when they went on holiday, and even then he tried to replicate it a little bit. :-)
DeleteScrambled or fried egg on toast. French toast with butter and confectioner sugar and cinnamon. Also oatmeal year round w tiny bit of sweetener and almond milk. If not very hungry its a slice of Ezekiel bread and natural peanut butter . on occasion an Egg waffle w peanut butter. Or half a bagel w butter, cinnamon and sugar. Also Weight Watcher banana pancakes I can get on a real run of those for days and days. With sugar free syrup if you can all it that since syrup has to have sugar? If I eat cereal its not often and usually as a snack mid afternoon just 3\4 c w almond milk. Hope I've given you all some new ideas.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have Ezekiel bread here in the UK, we have some similar loaves but not that particular brand. I do love a nice bagel especially a sesame seed one. :-)
DeleteWe are really boring and have the same breakfast every day, banana and muesli! You have some tasty ones, love the tomatoes and red onions on toast.
ReplyDeleteIf it suits you and you enjoy it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to what you love. Tomatoes and red onion with black pepper, and onion and garlic powders is absolutely delicious. Alan says my kitchen smells lovely after I have had that.
DeletePorridge every day with fruit and kefir. I’ve tried other cereals but porridge fills me up until lunch time. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI have decided that I am a porridge in Winter type of person, although having it in Autumn too might happen this year. :-)
DeleteI have a coffee when i get up with my meds then around two hours later I have breakfast. Summer, usually yoghurt and a banana or nectarines. Winter porridge or weetabix (Lidl's version). I have recently started having smoothies mainly to be the carrier for two tablespoons of Oatbran. It's supposed to lower bad cholesterol. That has yet to be seen.😂
ReplyDeleteI haven't had a real 'Weetabix' for years, I always buy the supermarkets own label versions. Oatbran is brilliant for lowering cholesterol.
DeleteYour breakfasts look appetising, but I am with Don and Anon and need my porridge or jumbo oats, winter and summer. I soak them in water and cook them in the microwave, then add a few berries and half of a small banana and a teaspoon of mixed seeds and some evaporated milk. We have half an orange and half an apple each, in summer there are slices of nectarine or melon, in winter a couple of prunes or dates, and 2 or three nuts. I have a glass of milk kefir with some powdered turmeric and fine black pepper and all my meds. After breakfast we enjoy a pot of filtered coffee.
ReplyDeleteThat all sounds exceptionally healthy, what a good start to the day. I have my porridge made with just water, and while I do have it with fruit, I tend to eat all the fruit first so that I can enjoy just the oats afterwards. I do like it with peanut butter too, that is delicious.
DeleteFruit, toast, frothy coffee - every day and never get fed up with it
ReplyDeleteIf it suits you and you look forward to it, what more can you ask for. There is something very relaxing about a nice simple morning routine. xx
DeleteEveryday I have a very small glass of orange juice and one coffee with milk. The colder months I add oatmeal. Spring and Summer, I have either one scrambled egg or omelet, boiled egg or a fried egg on one toast. Or, bran muffin and a half of a banana or a small portion of any fruit in season. Sometimes I may have some yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with pineapple, if not feeling very hungry. Read, over indulgence the night before.
ReplyDeleteI do love the size of your breakfasts, they would suit me down to the ground. :-)
DeleteI don't do breakfast, just can't face it. I have a very large glass of water then my mug of tea. Fortunately none of my medication needs to be taken with food. OH makes his own, either porridge or weetabix. Occasionally I make him a bacon butty. Xx
ReplyDeleteI used to be like that, age seemed to make me want breakfast more and more. Now I actually feel ill if I don't eat within an hour or so of getting up. But I can only eat small meals so perhaps that is the reason why.
DeleteYour variety looks great. I have to keep mine very regular, as I've got a colostomy, and maintaining regularity is a necessity. Breakfast therefore is 1. a tall glass of Wild berry Metamucil, followed by 2 Weetbix with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and some Oat milk. Coffee waits til I/we walk to the local cafe! If the grandchildren are with us for breakfast (quite frequently in term-time) porridge is the order of the day. Once in a blue moon, when out for breakfast I'll risk a plate of muesli. I get the cafe to give me a takeaway cup and take at least 1/2 home.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as though you need a lot of fibre with a colostomy. I didn't realise that, but it makes perfect sense. I like that you take any uneaten muesli home with you, that's just the sort of thing that I would do. 🙂
DeleteDear twin, like so many of us I'm in need of modifying some of my 'way of eating' (not using the D word, 😸) so have been taking a photo of my supper each night. It's a really helpful way of looking back at the last couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteGreat minds think alike ... yet again. 😄
DeleteI tend to have what I call "brunch" most days - my first meal of the day is eaten around noon and is both breakfast and lunch. What I eat varies; sometimes it's scrambled eggs and toast, other times (like today), bread and dhal. :)
ReplyDeleteI used to be able to wait for hours for 'breakfast', sadly these days I need to eat within an hour of waking up. Dhal for breakfast is lovely isn't it. 😀
Delete